[Air-l] CFP: HICSS minitrack: "Information and Communication Technologies in support of KM"

Caroline Haythornthwaite haythorn at uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 24 10:22:51 PST 2004

Below please find a call for papers for a minitrack at the Hawai'i
International Conference on Systems Science, January 2005, on
Information and Communication Technologies in support of Knowledge
Management, Organizational Memory, and Organization Learning.

Please forward to appropriate lists and colleagues.

This minitrack was put together to address alternate views of knowledge
management (KM), e.g., ideas that challenge knowledge-based systems'
concepts of knowledge "codification" and "transfer", and studies that pay
attention to situated knowledge. We seek papers that examine the processes
associated with knowledge creation, sharing, communication, recognition,
evaluation and internalization, and their implications for the use of ICTs,
as well as presentation of alternate kinds of knowledge management systems.
We are interested in submissions addressing social studies of science (and
e-science), education (and online learning, online education systems),
library and information science, as well as management and
business-organization studies. We welcome papers that explore what is
shared as well as what is not shared in defining the role and significance
of ICTs in the knowledge-sharing process. Finally, we are interested in
studies and presentations of applications such as collaboratories which
provide a mix of means of communicating, storing and retrieving information
in support of knowledge processes.  We are looking for both thoughtful,
informed empirical studies as well as strong theoretical that present rich
conceptualizations of how ICTs may support knowledge sharing.

Questions can be addressed to me Caroline Haythornthwaite
(haythorn at uiuc.edu), or to either of the other co-chairs: Saonee Sarker (
ssarker at wsu.edu), and Susan Gasson (sgasson at cis.drexel.edu)

---------------------------
CALL FOR PAPERS

Hawai'i International Conference on Systems Science, Hilton Waikoloa
Village, Big Island of Hawaii, January 3-6, 2005 (http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu/)

We invite submissions for a minitrack on

Information and Communication Technologies in support of Knowledge
Management, Organizational Memory, and Organization Learning (KM/OM/OL).

Abstracts to minitrack co-chairs March 31, 2004
Full papers to minitrack co-chairs June 15, 2004

Details of the KM/OM/OL cluster can be found here:
http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu/Hicss38/foscfp.htm#***CLUSTER***

Minitrack Co-Chairs
Saonee Sarker (Primary Contact)
Washington State University
ssarker at wsu.edu

Susan Gasson
Drexel University
sgasson at cis.drexel.edu

Caroline Haythornthwaite
haythorn at uiuc.edu

Information And Communication Technologies In Support Of Km/Om/Ol

This minitrack looks at technical issues and tools for building and
supporting knowledge management, organizational memory, and organizational
learning systems including the use of information and communication
technologies (ICTs) to support the sharing of knowledge between
individuals, groups, and organizations in a variety of contexts (e.g.,
collocated, distributed nationally or internationally). In addition, we
welcome studies with implications on social/technical design of systems
enabling knowledge sharing. We encourage papers that explore the role of
information and communication technologies (e.g., knowledge management
systems, digital libraries, online learning environments, intranets, etc.)
in mediating/facilitating knowledge sharing. Papers that generate new
paradigms and present alternatives to the knowledge-based systems' concepts
of knowledge "codification" and "transfer" are of interest. Potential
topics include:

-- How ICTs affect knowledge sharing.
-- Knowledge characteristics in ICT-mediated collaboration.
-- ICT design attributes that facilitate or constrain effective knowledge
sharing.
-- The role of ICTs in facilitating collaborative work.
-- Tools and technologies for developing KM/OM/OL oriented Systems
-- Capture, storage, search, retrieval, and use of knowledge and
organizational memory
-- Development and use of taxonomies, ontologies, and knowledge/topic maps
-- Development and implementation of Knowledge networks
-- Developing processes and systems for visualizing knowledge
-- New paradigms for KM.

Dates

March 31, 2004: Abstracts to be submitted to Minitrack Chairsfor guidance
and indication of appropriate content.
June 15, 2004:  Authors submit full manuscripts to Minitrack Chairs.
Contact the chairs in advance for specific submission instructions.
August 15, 2004: Minitrack Chairs send notices of accepted manuscripts to
Authors. (Note: Acceptance may be conditional; revisions may be requested
for final acceptance of paper.)
October 1, 2004: Deadline for Authors to submit the final version of their
accepted papers electronically for publication. At least one author of each
paper must have registered to attend the conference by this date.
December 10, 2004: All conference registrations and payments are due. On
site registration fee applies after this date. No refunds after this date.

Caroline Haythornthwaite (haythorn at uiuc.edu)
Associate Professor
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 501 East Daniel St., Champaign,
IL, 61820
phone: 217-244-7453     fax: 217-244-3302 www.lis.uiuc.edu/~haythorn