[Air-l] RE: digital recording

Slater,D D.Slater at lse.ac.uk
Sat Feb 28 06:39:59 PST 2004

Can anyone give some quick advice on this Mini-disk system - I bought a
new Sony MD because it both allowed for external mic (sound quality is
wonderful) and for transfering files by USB.

The problem I've encountered though is Attrac3 - you can only transfer
to the computer a file that was originally transferred *from* that same
computer - this is an interesting example of current desperation to
establish unbreakable copyright protection. So of course all my
interviews have to be played into the computer in real time because they
did not originate on the computer!

I'm about the go into battle with Sony over this, to see if there is any
way around it (ie, can I not convince the software that I in fact
originated this material!), but before I do this, does anyone know about
how to deal with this issue?

Don

Sony hits a grand slam! Announcing Hi-MD (spec) a new Minidisc format
based upon a 1GB MD medium and existing MD media reformatted to 300MB.
Hi-MD equipment features uploading to PC for mic-input recordings, and
built-in linear PCM as well as ATRAC3plus encoding at 256 and 64kbps.
Hi-MD recorders also function as USB data drives. Available in April,
recording equipment prices will be $200 (MZ-NH600D), $250 (MZ-NHF800),
$300 (MZ-NH900) and $400 (MZ-NH1) with Hi-MD blanks costing about $7.

Sony Press Release: http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/4270

Best,
Zoe

Zoe Dowling, Ph.D. Candidate
Department of Sociology, School of Human Sciences
University of Surrey, Guildford, GU2 7XH, UK
http://www.soc.surrey.ac.uk/~scp1zd/