[Air-l] Re: first post (An Internet without Space)

Ben Anderson benander at essex.ac.uk
Tue Feb 3 10:58:42 PST 2004

Hi,

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I am resistant to the continued use of the term "space" and spatial
> metaphors when writing about the Internet and related technologies. In

I guess you've seen Paul Dourish's 1996 CSCW paper on this issue?

http://www.ics.uci.edu/~jpd/publications/place-paper.html

"Many collaborative and communicative environments use notions of ``space''
and spatial organisation to facilitate and structure interaction. We argue
that a focus on spatial models is misplaced. Drawing on understandings from
architecture and urban design, as well as from our own research findings, we
highlight the critical distinction between ``space'' and ``place''. While
designers use spatial models to support interaction, we show how it is
actually a notion of ``place'' which frames interactive behaviour. This
leads us to re-evaluate spatial systems, and discuss how ``place'', rather
than ``space'', can support CSCW design. "

--
Dr Ben Anderson
t: +44 (0)7710 187 806