[Air-l] first post

Luiz Carlos Baptista lucabaptista at sapo.pt
Tue Feb 3 15:21:32 PST 2004

Just let me add my two cents (of euros, not dollars) in this growing
collection of Lance Strate articles about the metaphor of "space".

In the book "Communication and Cyberspace" (Hampton Press, 1996), there is a
very interesting article by Strate, called "Cybertime", in which he says:
"we tend to stress the similarities between computer technology and more
traditional notions of physical place; we view computer media as a where,
not a when. ... [W]hereas the emphasis on computer-mediated communication
points us in the direction of cyberspace, as our focus shifts to
computer-mediated culture, to the long-term construction of communities,
psyches, and shared systems of signification, we need to consider the
concept of cybertime".

The concept of "cybertime" is an alternative and a complement to that of
"cyberspace". In his article, Strate talks about the computer as clock
(measuring time) and as a medium (representing time), and then goes to on to
analyze the experience of time in the activities related to computers and
the corresponding changes to conceptions of self and of community.

The other articles are worth reading, and the book as a whole has stood well
the test of time.

Rgrds,

Luiz Carlos Baptista
lucabaptista at sapo.pt