[Air-l] FWD: 'ethnography' exposed

Radhika Gajjala radhika at cyberdiva.org
Thu Jan 8 03:32:06 PST 2004

Not surprising at all.

I think though the article suffers from the same problems as the sampling
of "ethnographies" it refers to - it is merely descriptive, with no
contextual analysis (and erasure of context and a posturing of Knowledge
formed on inadequate investigation of layered contexts, as far as I am
concerned, *is* a lack of objectivity) or critical engagement.

thanks for passing on the link.

At 11:45 AM 1/7/2004 -0600, you wrote:

>AoIR colleagues,
>
>There is a short, interesting article in Spiked about the appropriation of
>ethnography by business and government:
>
>   'Ethnography' exposed
>   by Martyn Perks (spiked-IT, 30 December 2003)
>   http://www.spiked-online.com/articles/00000006E039.htm
>
>This is an old topic, and this is not a very good *analytic* treatment (it
>seems to recommend objectivity as a remedy for poor ethnography).
>However, the article is a very good *descriptive* treatment, mentioning
>some provocative current manifestations: real-life 'cool hunters' (see
>Gibson's _Pattern Recognition_), elected politicians as pseudo-
>ethnographers, and revisiting ethnographic approaches to understanding
>broadband Internet use.
>
>Christian
>

>--
>http://www.niftyc.org/

Postcolonial Feminists Meet Internet Studies Blogpace
http://cyberdiva.typepad.com/postcolonialaoir/

Cultures of Tech Blogspace (this will eventually have info on the Cultures
of Tech Virtual Seminar series) http://cyberdiva.typepad.com/cultures_of_tech/

AOIR Panel Studying the Internet via the Internet: Electronic Collaboration
blogs
http://cyberdiva.typepad.com/aoirbgnu/

http://personal.bgsu.edu/~radhik

personal weblogs: http://www.cyberdiva.org/cyberdiv/october/