[Air-l] The Internet Is Changing The Way Canadians Socialize

Rhiannon Bury welshwitch75 at rogers.com
Mon Jan 19 13:00:37 PST 2004

Interesting story, Michael. It does go somewhat against my (very)
anecdotal evidence based on discussions with my communications students
in the past couple of years. Most had never heard of  IRC,  MUDs/MOOs or
Usenet. Their preferred method of interacting with others online  was by
far ICQ and other messaging systems. The thing I found particularly
interesting was that they had NO interest in meeting new people online;
they wanted to communicate more easily with people they already knew
from campus and from home.

Rhiannon Bury
Women's Studies
University of Waterloo