[Air-l] The Internet Is Changing The Way Canadians Socialize

DJ Smith banaltra at nycap.rr.com
Mon Jan 19 17:20:31 PST 2004

I have been reading the posts on how college students communicate...and
listen to many others talk of how the next generation will take
technolgy for granted. My college, an adult distance institution, offers
80% of the distance learning courses online. Ancedotal evidence is that
adult learners enter a course, participate in a discussion (newsgroup),
post assignments, ask questions etc, mostly as one "glob" on a weekend
night...they are too busy with the rest of their f2f lives to
continually be "in" a course participating every other day or so.

The same seems true of discussion groups established for specific
students. We started an online discussion database for Community & Human
Services students and it died on the vine for lack of participation.
Unless there's a "payoff" in terms of the grade, adult students do not
frequently use technology that requires they "pull" information or go to
an online area.

Even faculty we find, are more likely to discuss topics in email than a
newsgroup posting--a clear case of Push vs Pull technology. --djs