[Air-l] qual and quant

Ren Reynolds ren at aldermangroup.com
Sat Jan 24 12:05:42 PST 2004

I just thought I would throw some stats into the thread. As while
MMORPGs, MUDs, MOOs, _whatever_ are 'popular', the numbers of users do
not rank very highly against other popular pastimes.

Usage numbers for western MMOs are (very) roughly as follows:
EverQuest 500,000
Star Wars Galaxies 300,000+
Ultima Online 300,000
Final Fantasy 300,000
Dark Age of Camelot 250,000

The demographics for these games are fairly well distributed form
mid-teens to, well, all ages. So it is not surprising that comparatively
few collage age students have not used an MMO. Though it should be noted
of course that the number of hours that people tend to spend in this
worlds is fairly high, there are some reports at the moment about there
being a correlation between the drop in hours males (18-34) spend
watching TV and the increase in Virtual World hours, but I'm not sure
the numbers stack up.

In the East, especially Korea, things are different. There a game such
as Linage has 3.5 million subscribers. I don't have the exact stats but
the Asian virtual worlds that are said to have over 100,000 members are:

Final Fantasy XI
Lineage II
MU Online
Ragnarok Online