[Air-l] Re: qual and quant

Douglas Galbi Douglas.Galbi at fcc.gov
Mon Jan 26 09:28:13 PST 2004

Charles Tilly:

"Mark D. Johns" <johnsmar at luther.edu>:
>Would that I had said it so succinctly.  My point concerning my caucus
>experience exactly.

This seems to be a more general aspect of communication activity.
Consider, for example, that in the century following the Norman Conquest
of England in 1066, almost all persons in England changed personal given
names from Anglo-Saxons names to Norman names.  Unmediated
person-to-person
connections were the driving force for this rapid change in personal
names.
Moreover, based on a measure of change in name distribution, the
communication
of names in the century subsequent to the Norman Conquest of England in
1066
is comparable to the communication of names across twentieth century
England
and Wales.  For data and discussion, see pp. 34-9 of Galbi, "A New
Account of Personalization and Effective Communication," at
www.galbithink.org

Douglas Galbi