[Air-l] Re: howard dean, social movements and clay shirky

Robert M. Tynes rtynes at u.washington.edu
Fri Jan 30 12:02:36 PST 2004

Yes, the US elections have a substantial effect worldwide. And I think many Americans realize this. However, 'we' are not in the center of the election process anymore than 'you' are. Yes, Americans are closer than the rest of the world, but the power to put someone in the presidential office is orchestrated by political strategists and elites. 'We' are bombarded by their preferred messages via the press. (The media doesn't lie, except in a few rare instances. The press is often manipulated though.)So how do we pick the real deal?

These days it takes considerable effort to wade through all that spin (enter the Internet as one tool. Which is more informative: blogs, white papers posted online, databases, google search results, OR George W. Bush's website?). It takes mucho critical analysis about the issues too. Sadly, though, I don't see that happening on a large scale in the US, which is why social movements are so important. If the majority of Americans can't dig deeply into the info then others must do so -- to become the deciphering system for the populace. It's the traditional two-step flow system (opinion leaders and what not) in reverse. That's how the power of the vote is regained.

As is, all I hear is: Dean screams too loud and Kerry looks electable. That's how 'we' vote.

-robert