[Air-l] Website Development Packages

MSJANEW at aol.com MSJANEW at aol.com
Tue Jan 13 04:45:04 PST 2004

Hello,

I am putting out a query to tech oriented educators asking for opinions on
how to implement my pet web/cable TV show project, called Sports Smarts.

At present I am developing content for an online sports interaction website
called Sports Smarts. I am writing scripts for "characters" that users can
choose and follow through a streaming video story about Little League Elbow. I
will be shooting video to allow for multiple storylines, with branches and
outcomes based on each child's chosen character (risk-taker, gamer, winner, clutch,
etc.) The focus is sports safety and thinking skills.

The website will be used as an "after the TV show" opportunity for kids to
interact online.  The show will be broadcast in suburbs around Chicago.

Anyway, my question is this: I am seeking a prepackaged solution (ideally
free, but perhaps off-the-shelf???) that can handle the following wish list of
functionality:

1. The capacity to allow for branching/different outcomes based on user
inputs.
2. Database functionality to store information
3. Sign-on/register function
4. Ability to take user surveys/give kids "quizzes"
4. Chat/IM
5. Chat monitoring capacity
6. AD serving
7. Streaming video
8. Website traffic monitoring
9. Ability to update content easily

I realize that not all of these features are necessarily part of the same
one-size-fits-all solution, but that is what I would like to explore as a first
option. I have no real budget, but perhaps I can line up a sponsor or two if I
figure out what is actually possible on a shoe string budget.

1. Do you know of any packages out there that might fit the bill?

2. Is a content management tool like Blackboard appropriate?

3. Are these off the shelf-programs flexible enough to take on a cool,
kid-friendly look? In other words, I want this to this to "look" right so that kids
enjoy visiting and interacting with their friends.

Thanks for any and all suggestions or ideas.

Matt Newman
Producer
Sports Smarts
msjanew at aol.com