[Air-l] On Netnography

Charles Ess cmess at drury.edu
Sun Jan 18 19:42:56 PST 2004

As a follow-up to Dan's message -
as far as ethical issues in general, I'd recommend the AoIR ethics
guidelines (www.aoir.org/reports/ethics.pdf) as a series of questions that
have now proven helpful to researchers around the world in determining just
what the ethical issues of a given project / approach / methodology, etc.,
might be.
In addition, if your research is going to involve anyone from the European
Union, you should be aware (if you're not already) that the data privacy
protection laws for the E.U. states are considerably stricter in a number of
ways than those enforced in the U.S.   For a comprehensive overview of E.U.
data privacy law and correlative steps for researchers, the materials
gathered at the RESPECT project website are the best I've seen (though Dan
certainly knows better than I on this):
http://www.respectproject.org/main/index.php
following especially the link
http://www.respectproject.org/main/data.php
which introduces the research and final report of colleagues at the
Centre de Recherches Informatique et Droit (CRID) / The Research Centre for
Computer and Law at the University of Namur.
The Code of Ethics for Socio-Economic Research, at
http://www.respectproject.org/ethics/ethics.pdf
is also absolutely first rate.
Enjoy!

Charles Ess
Distinguished Research Professor, Interdisciplinary Studies
Drury University
900 N. Benton Ave.
Springfield, MO  65802  USA
voice: 417-873-7230
fax: 417-873-7435
homepage: <www.drury.edu/ess/ess.html>

Co-chair, CATaC '04: <it.murdoch.edu.au/catac>

Exemplary persons seek harmony, not identity - Confucius