[Air-l] howard dean, social movements and clay shirky

Joao Vieira da Cunha jvc at MIT.EDU
Thu Jan 29 06:55:13 PST 2004

Ren and fellow AoIRs,

I conducted a study of the use of a newsgroup in a company during a
large scale change that was threatening to employees' identity and found
that participation on the newsgroup, on-line and off-line lurking all
had a cathartic effect, ie. They reduced people's willingness to resist
change.
There were even textual rituals enacted on the newsgroup at the highest
peaks in tension during the change process, which consisted in people
posting blank messages at rates over 100 messages a day.

Without posting the whole paper, I'll share with you a quote from one of
my informants:

[O]ne of the functions of the [Newsgroup] was that independently of
bringing people closer, of helping them develop, of the role it played,
it was a very powerful instrument that was favorable to the company in
the sense of being the escape valve for a lot of stuff [...] It was a
very useful escape valve that the company did not value.

I'm currently working on writing this up, but I'll be happy to share it
once it's done.

Hope this contributes to the discussion,

Joao

Joao Vieira da Cunha
MIT / Sloan