[Air-l] Re: question about cyberspace ethnography literature from Alizera Doostdar

Andrew Wenn andrew.wenn at vu.edu.au
Wed Jun 16 15:42:29 PDT 2004

On 17/6/04 2:00 AM, "air-l-request at aoir.org" <air-l-request at aoir.org> wrote:

[snip]

Hi Alireza,

Sounds like a very interesting paper. I am a little surprised that the two
authors you mention weren't enough to keep the reviewers happy. However that
is part and parcel of the review process.

I haven't kept terribly up to date with the literature on ethnography in
cyberspace. One book that you might try and track down is: Markham, A. N.
1998, 'Life Online: Researching Real-Life Experience in Virtual Space',
AltaMira, Walnut Creek, CA. I found it a good reflective ethnography and an
excellent read.

I have just looked at a couple of recent issues of New Media and Society and
come across this article: Fernback, J. 2003, 'Legends on the Net: An
Examination of Computer-Mediated Communication as a Locus of Oral Culture',
New Media & Society, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 29-45.

Now whether or not you can get you hands on this before Monday I cannot say.
It does ground the research in ethnomethodology though.

Another article I have seen referred to in one or two places is Fox, N. and
Roberts, C. (1999) 'GPs in Cyberspace: the sociology of a "Virtual
Community"', Sociological Review 47(4): 643-71. I haven't seen this so
cannot comment on it.

Best of luck,

Andrew.
> Message: 7
> Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:37:51 -0400
> From: "Alireza Doostdar" <alireza at doostdar.com>
> Subject: [Air-l] question about cyberspace ethnography literature
> To: <air-l at aoir.org>
>
> Dear AoIRs,
>
> I'm in the process of revising a paper I've submitted to the American
> Anthropologist about blogging in Iran, which I've titled "'The Vulgar
> Spirit of Blogging': On Language, Culture, and Power in Persian
> Weblogestan". My ethnographic research consisted in part of maintaining
> a Persian-language blog where I wrote observations and commentary on a
> debate that was raging among many Iranian bloggers at the time on
> "vulgar" linguistic and cultural practices, and where I engaged in
> conversations with other bloggers. In my paper, I reflect on my methods
> of drawing attention to my own words on my blog (through hyperlinking,
> explicitly invoking other people's blog entries, sending trackback
> pings, making provocative statements, etc) so as to get comments from
> other people, and I analyze these methods within a larger context of
> communicative practices by bloggers who write to be noticed and who need
> to be noticed in order to be read. Based on this and other analyses, I
> conceptualize blogging (in the Persian language at least) as an emergent
> speech genre (in the Bakhtinian sense) that draws on various on- and
> off-line genres of speech.
>
> One of my reviewers has asked that I situate my intensively engaged
> ethnographic method within a literature of cyberspace ethnography that
> discusses such engagement (and other methods, like lurking) and the
> relevant theoretical and ethical issues. I already have several pieces I
> can use, including Christine Hine's "Virtual Ethnography" and David
> Hakken's "Cyborgs at Cyberspace?". I would TREMENDOUSLY appreciate pointers
> on other relevant literature, preferably things I can get my hands on
> fast, as my revisions are due by Monday!
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> -Alireza

> End of Air-l Digest, Vol 1, Issue 1087

School of Information Systems