[Air-l] Re: When I'll be in jail....

Antonio Roversi antonio.roversi at unibo.it
Wed Jun 9 04:58:45 PDT 2004

Dear Aoirs

far from me the idea to start a flame in the list with my previous post. But
let me please, now, add just two words and try to answer to
Lee Salter and Maura Conway (thank you for the references, first of all)
1. In my post I quoted two _random_  links (I have a bookmark full of three
hundred sites at least, which is a good sample i think)  only to give a
general idea of the work I have planned. Of course I have bookmarked "Israeli
hate organisations" too. To name one, Internet Haganah, where you can find a
sentence like that: "I have suggestion for what to do with Zarqawi in the
event he is taken alive. It has to do with a couple of tractors and some
long chains. I leave it as an exercise for the readear to figure out the
details".
2. Please believe me that I will "try balance", as Lee wrote and a researcher
should always do. "This smacks of one-sidedness", Lee said.
Well, Lee, let's take for granted that we both and all the members of this
list are trained researcher and do the best to publish "sine ira
ac studio" results (to quote the old Max Weber).
3. I call the groups fighting in Middle East "terrorist". Ok. Maybe it's a
mistake (too value-oriented term). "Groups which have
individualized war" (I borrow this term from Ulrich Beck) is acceptable ? Hope
so.
4. As I wrote in my previous post, I am _starting_  a new research. I omitted
to say that I have planned to study Hooligans' Web Sites too
(there are a lot over here in Europe). Do have Hooligan's, Neonazi's and
Groups which..ect' s Sites something in common ? I would say: yes.
They share the language of violence. Is it enough to say that ? No, of course.
The scientific question (at least to me) is: why these Sites
and the people who run them speak the language of violence ? Now: when you ask
"Why ?" you have two choices. You can try to answer looking
at the causes. Or you can try to answer looking at the aims. I am a
sociologist. I am not a political scientist nor a political activist.
So I have only a choice: looking at the aims. From this point of view - this
is to answer to Maura - it's enough to spend a couple of
hours "diving" through the three kind of sites to see that they are absolutely
different (as you said: "in
terms of appearance, functioning, effectiveness, etc"). But: shall I repeat
that I am at the first step of my research, that I use the label
"Hate on the Net" only to give a general idea of what i am doing, I didn't
want to post a whole essay about the research design, and  just
asked about some references ? That's all.

Regards to all

Ciao

Antonio
--
"I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous"
David Bradley, 'Ctrl+Alt+Delete' inventor.