[Air-l] tools for social networking at conferences

Kris Markman jho-kmm at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 16 19:48:17 PDT 2004

Dear AoIR folk,
I'm part of a group of graduate students at the
Univ. of Texas working on a consulting project
for the organizers of the 2006 World Congress of
Information Technology
(http://www.wcit2006.org/). One of our projects
is to come up with recommendations for
technologies that can enhance the social
networking of conference delegates during and
after the conference. We're looking for ways that
different devices and applications (and
especially ones that make use of wireless &
mobile technology) can help conference delegates
track, find and manage contacts and extend
face-to-face discussions during the conference,
and help them continue networking after they've
left.

I'm interested to know if any of you have ever
attended or organized a conference (professional,
academic, industry, or other) where technology
was used in interesting/useful/innovated ways
specifically to enhance social networking. I'd
like to get an idea of what kinds of things have
been done (successfully and unsuccessfully) in
the past as we develop our plans for this project.

Please feel free to share your experiences and insights with me off list.

Thanks!
-Kris
--
ƒƒƒƒƒƒ	ƒƒƒƒƒƒ	ƒƒƒƒƒƒ	ƒƒƒƒƒƒ