[Air-l] tools for social networking at conferences (fwd)

Caroline Haythornthwaite haythorn at uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 17 09:10:52 PDT 2004

There are two projects I know of. One is called IKNOW, developed by Nosh
Contractor at UIUC. Participants can pre-enter their interests and IKnow
then shows the social networks among them based on their interests.

http://www.spcomm.uiuc.edu/Projects/TECLAB/IKNOW/

The other is a system called Intellibadge, lead developer Donna Cox, using
RFID badges to capture and display co-participation at conferences

http://intellibadge.ncsa.uiuc.edu/index.htm

Both are useful for conferences. The Intellibadge requires physical
devices, but IKnow does not.

/Caroline

Caroline Haythornthwaite (haythorn at uiuc.edu); www.lis.uiuc.edu/~haythorn
Associate Professor, Graduate School of Library and Information Science