[Air-l] Internet Surveys: One or Many?

Ec.Deutskens at MW.unimaas.nl Ec.Deutskens at MW.unimaas.nl
Mon Jun 14 08:29:06 PDT 2004

Dear Kyle,

Of course it depends on what you define as 'very long' and 'small'.

We have done an experiment where group 1 received a 'very long version'
(about 30-45 minutes; it was basically the traditional mail survey with 19
product categories), and group 2 received a shorter version (~15 minutes;
the traditional questionnaire split into 2, so 9 product categories).

The results showed that short questionnaires have a higher response rate,
although long questionnaires still generate a surprisingly high response.
Furthermore, there were interesting interaction effects with the type of
incentive (see Deutskens, E.C., J.C. de Ruyter, M.G.M. Wetzels, and P.
Oosterveld (2004), "Response Rate and Response Quality of Internet-based
Surveys: An Experimental Study". Marketing Letters 15 (1), 21-36 for more
information)

I hope this helped! Success with your study,

Lisa