[Air-l] When I'll be in jail....

Maura Conway mc52 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Mon Jun 7 05:19:01 PDT 2004

Antonio,

There has been a tendency in recent times to equate hate and terrorist
organizations. This is particularly evident in research into terrorism and
the Internet, terrorist use of the Net, cyberterrorism, or whatever you
like to call it. It is unclear to me, however, why Brigitte Nacos, Harvey
Kushner, and others persist in lumping these groups and their Web sites
together, as a glance at the various sites reveals stark differences--in
terms of appearance, functioning, effectiveness, etc.-- between sites
maintained by hate groups and those maintained by terrorist organizations.
This is particularly true if one confines one's analysis to
English-language sites.

Regards,
Maura

At 22:06 03/06/2004 +0100, you wrote:
>I don't particularly wish to get involved in a discussion about the rights
>and wrongs of Israel, but to call Hizbollah a "hate organisation" in the
>same vein as the Neo-Nazis is rather disingenuous to say the least. After
>all, Hizbollah are a response to an invasion by Israel. Furthermore, this
>smacks of one-sidedness - have you never heard the views of Israeli
>"settlers" (colonists)? Perhaps you could take a look at Israeli hate
>organisations too, Gamla (http://www.gamla.org.il/english/index.htm) for
>example? I understand that perhaps you are unaware of the reality of the
>situation as the Western media has been so biased itself (see Greg Philo's
>research at the University of Glasgow -
>www.gla.ac.uk/departments/sociology/Israel.pdf for example), but if you
>really want to do something original, then try balance.
>
>In terms of research already conducted,  see Michael Whine's work
>(interesting but heavilty biased) in the book "Liberating Cyberspace". A
>very interesting attempt to research hate on the net is Ken McVay's Nizkor
>Project www.nizkor.org/
>
>Antonio Roversi wrote:
>
>>will you take me some cookies ?
>>
>>Hi list
>>
>>I am joking of course. But who knows ? This post is to inform you that I
>>have just started a new research I call "Hate on the Net". It's about a
>>phenomenon which is quite widespread on the Internet. Have a look here:
>>
>>http://www.theneworder.org/
>>
>>just to name one. Or here:
>>
>>http://www.hizbollah.tv/
>>
>>I think that it is time to do a research like that (hoping not to be
>>tracked down as terrorist or neonazi by the "Agencies").
>>Any suggestion - about books or essays - will be appreciated (for now).
>>Cookies will be either (just in case....)
>>
>>Regards
>>
>>Antonio
>>

>--
>Lee Salter
>School of Law, Governance and International Relations
>London Metropolitan University,
>62-66 Highbury Grove,
>London,
>N5 2AD