[Air-l] Looking for some empirical data

Jennifer Stromer-Galley jstromer at albany.edu
Wed Jun 2 11:24:43 PDT 2004

There is a large body of empirical work on the question of political
usages and social impacts of the internet. Are you interested in citizen
uses or political officials (government, campaigns) uses of the
Internet?

There are some chapters in Phil Howard and Steve Jones edited book,
Society Online, on the topic. There's Bruce Bimber and Richard Davis'
new book, Campaigning Online. Bimber also has two published articles.
One was published in 1999 in the journal Political Communication (vol
16), titled, "The internet and citizen communication with government:
Does the medium matter?" There's Davis's older book (1999), The Web of
Politics. You might also be interested in Hill & Hughes book
Cyberpolitics: Citizen Activism in the Age of the Internet. Kirsten Foot
and Steve Schneider and a host of co-authors have been investigating
these questions. You can visit their website http://politicalweb.info
for research reports and peer-reviewed publications. If you're
interested in survey data, the Pew Internet and American Life project
includes a few political questions in their surveys:
www.pewinternet.org.

And, there's a whole lot more, but this is a start.

Best wishes,
~JSG