[Air-l] question about cyberspace ethnography literature

amarkham amarkham at uic.edu
Wed Jun 16 12:35:03 PDT 2004

Off the top of my head (or from my Internet browser bookmarks), I
would recommend:

Baym, N. (2000).  _Tune in, Log on_.  (Sage publishers).

And I'll add my own book, _Life Online:  Researching real experience
in virtual space_. (Alta Mira Press, 1998).

Also see an overview of issues related to ethics and representation in
online ethnography:  Markham, A.:  "Reconsidering Self and Other:  The
methods, politics, and ethics of representation in Online
Ethnography." In N. Denzin and Y. Lincoln (Eds.).  Handbook of
Qualitative Research.  (forthcoming)
Online draft here:
http://ascend.comm.uic.edu/~amarkham/writing/denzinlincoln.htm

Johns, M. D., Chen, S. L. S., & Hall, G. J. (Eds.). (2003).  _Online
social research:  Methods, issues, and ethics_.  (Peter Lang Press).
(good edited collection with many issues addressed)

Buchanan, E. (2004).  Readings in Virtual Research Ethics:  Issues and
controversies. (Information Science Publishing)
(includes many relevant readings in online qualitative research
methods/ethics.  Many good chapters.  I'll mention here  Malin
Sveningsson's chapter "Ethics in Internet Ethnography," which provides
a good overview of some major issues.)

Eichhorn, K. (2001).  Sites unseen:  Ethnographic research in a
textual community.  International journal of Qualitative studies in
Education, 14 (4), 565-578.

Special issue on internet research ethics.  Ethics and Information Technolog
http://www.nyu.edu/projects/nissenbaum/ethics_ess.html.

and, of course, the recommendations of the AOIR working committee on
ethics:www.aoir.org/reports/ethics.pdf

Hope these are of some use to you,

Annette Markham