[Air-l] question about interview language for online/offline distinction

andrea baker bakera at ohiou.edu
Thu Jun 17 09:19:28 PDT 2004

Mary, you raise a very interesting question.  To add to what Annette
said I could propose that *f2f* (face-to-face) or ftf might fill work
with *online*.  Like her, I tend to use online/offline which works
best for studies emphasizing online interactions, I agree.

Distinctions used:
online/offline
online/f2f
OL/IRL or RL
virtual reality/physical space
cyberspace/meatspace

The last is controversial among some for perhaps obvious reasons.  I
have found it useful to discuss comparative features of the two
realms.  Virtual reality vs. physical space or physical reality have
served us in times past but seem dated also,  even more than
online/offline.

What terms do young people use?  As you note, their realities are
more seamless, what with phone, IM, maybe texting...And yet, meeting
"in person" retains a distinct flavor of its own, methinks.

best,
andrea (andee)