[Air-l] resources (non-linear WWW)

Michael Bieber bieber at oak.njit.edu
Fri Mar 19 05:30:57 PST 2004

Hi Susannah (and Everyone),

The field of hypertext and hypermedia studies the non-linear nature
of information.  The nodes (documents) and links result in a
non-linear network of information.

(A shameless self-reference to a definition of hypertext in the
Encyclopedia of CS:
  http://web.njit.edu/~bieber/pub/cs-encyclopedia/csencyclopedia00.pdf)

There's been a lot of work done in the hypertext community on
analyzing hypertext networks, and the best thing to do would be to
look through the ACM Hypertext conference proceedings.  Some work has
focused on analyzing link depth.  Over the last years the hypertext
community has been analyzing networks in terms of structural and
navigation "patterns".

  A lot of this work has been carried on further by the burgeoning
field of Web Engineering:
e.g., http://www.webengineering.org/
which has its own set of conferences and journals now.  Web
Engineering applies software engineering approaches to the Web.

Cheers,

Michael

>A graduate student I know is looking for resources on how to analyze
>(nonlinear) information on the WWW. Can anyone recommend any resources
>(books, articles, sites) I could pass on to him that might be helpful?
>
>Thank you.
>
>Susannah

  Michael Bieber, Associate Professor
  - Collaborative Hypermedia Research Lab (Co-Director)
  - Digital Library Service Integration Project (PI)
  Email: bieber at oak.njit.edu   URL: http://web.njit.edu/~bieber
  AOL Instant Messenger screen name: profbieber
  Phone: (973) 596-2681     FAX:    (973) 596-5777

  Information Systems Department (http://is.njit.edu/)
  College of Computing Sciences,  New Jersey Institute of Technology
  5500 Information Technology Center
  University Heights,  Newark, New Jersey 07102-1982  USA