[Air-l] Cyborglogs: International Workshop on Camphones (community wisdomatics)

Steve Mann mann at eecg.toronto.edu
Sun Mar 28 18:54:19 PST 2004

> I am a casting producer over at the Sci Fi Channel and I am came across
> your name while doing research on Cyborgs for a show I am putting
> together.  I was wondering if you could offer some advice and direction.
> I am looking to speak to individuals who are transforming themselves into
> cyborgs or who function as cyborgs.  Please forgive me if I sound ignorant
> From: "Michael Gurstein" <mgurst at vcn.bc.ca>
> Subject: RE: [Air-l] the history of social infomatics

> Thanks to Kevin and Maja,
>
> I only met Rob Kling once (at the AoIR meeting in Maastricht).  We were
> introduced by some mutual acquaintances.  We immediately entered into an
> intense conversation on Community Informatics vs. Social Informatics...
> I was struck by the fact that he had read (and deeply assimilated) all
> of what I thought were the relevant materials.
> His strongly but respectfully presented challenge was two-fold, first
> "what was new or different (from say, Social Informatics), about
> Community Informatics" and second if there was something new about CI,
> what were appropriate methodologies for analysing/researching in the
> As Kevin noted, he very generously made an invitation to prepare a
> "Position Paper" on Community Informatics for an upcoming issue of
> Information Society.  As these things happen, the article took rather
> longer than I would have liked when I received the shocking news of his
> untimely death.

You might find our upcoming workshop on what we might more aptly call
Community/Social Wisdomatics (Workshop on Inverse Surveillance)
to be of interest.  It's less about informatics and maybe more about
social interactions and not so much information and knowledge creation
but more about the wisdomain knowledge of knowing what areas of
research to study.  In any case it's all about Cyborglogs
(or 'glogs as they've become known), so it should certainly be
of interest to you or anyone else who'd like to submit a short 1
page extended abstract or a 4 page paper.

Here's the Call for Participation:

International Workshop on Inverse Surveillance:

Cameraphones, Cyborglogs, and Computational seeing aids;

exploring and defining a research agenda