[Air-l] the history of social infomatics

Maja van der Velden maja at globalagenda.org
Thu Mar 25 23:45:34 PST 2004

Michael Gurstein is maintaining two lists on community informatics:

- community informatics:
http://vancouvercommunity.net/lists/info/communityinformatics
- community informatics researchers:
http://vancouvercommunity.net/lists/info/ciresearchers

Michael Gurstein can be reached at: mgurst at vcn.bc.ca

There is also a small community of people interested in social
movements informatics:

Contact Steve Walker at: S.Walker at lmu.ac.uk
See also: http://www.lmu.ac.uk/ies/workshop29403.htm

Greetings, Maja

On Mar 25, 2004, at 10:17 PM, Kevin Tharp wrote:

> Denise:
>
> You might also want to consider the similar area of Community
> Informatics.  There is a growing body of literature in this area that
> considers the use of ICT in communities.  A couple of quick references:
>
> Gurstein, M. (2000). Community informatics: Enabling communities with
> information and communications technologies. Hershey, PA: Idea Group
> Pub.
> Keeble, L., & Loader, B. (2002). Community informatics : shaping
> computer-mediated social relations. New York: Routledge.
> Marshall, S., Taylor, W., & Yu, X. H. (2004). Using community
> informatics to transform regions. Hershey, PA: Idea Group Pub.
>
> It is my understanding that Rob Kling did not see eye-to-eye with the
> Community Informatics people, and that he was trying to have some of
> the
> differences in the fields articulated by inviting Gurstein and perhaps
> others to contribute journal articles.  It is unfortunate that this was
> not accomplished.
>
> Regards,
> Kevin W. Tharp

Maja van der Velden