[Air-l] Re: Air-l digest - Number Fetishism

Uwe Matzat u.matzat at tm.tue.nl
Fri Mar 5 02:37:46 PST 2004

Dear Alex Kuskis, dear colleagues,

thank you very much for enlighting us about the difference between
quantitative and qualitative research. I always had the impression
that both could learn from each other and that the method should
be chosen that fits best to the research problem and to what kind
of insights one is looking for.

Now I know better. I especially like the sentence

"There are two main types of user research: quantitative (statistics)
and qualitative (insights). Quant has quaint advantages, but
qualitative delivers the best results for the least money.
Furthermore, quantitative studies are often too narrow to be useful
and are sometimes directly misleading. "

I think this is a very fair and well-elaborated summary that should
finish the whole academic discussion that went on during the last
decades. Things can be so easy. ;-)

Thank you once more, Alex.

Kind regards,
Uwe

PS: I wonder whether this is the spirit of the next AIR conference in
Sussex? After Toronto, I get more and more a strange feeling. Is
this the culture clash between cultural studies against science? I
wouldn't like that.

On 4 Mar 04, at 12:01, air-l-request at aoir.org wrote:

> Message: 3
> From: "Alex Kuskis" <akuskis at ican.net>
> To: <air-l at aoir.org>
> Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 19:30:24 -0500
> Subject: [Air-l] Number Fetishism
>
> This is for our friend from Oz who is so keen on quantitative
analysis
> to the exclusion of all else.........Alex Kuskis Alertbox, March
> 1, 2004: Risks of Quantitative Studies Summary: Number fetishism
> leads usability studies astray by focusing on statistical analyses
> that are often false, biased, misleading, or overly narrow. Better
> to emphasize insights and qualitative research. There are two main
> types of user research: quantitative (statistics) and qualitative
> (insights). Quant has quaint advantages, but qualitative delivers
> the best results for the least money. Furthermore, quantitative
> studies are often too narrow to be useful and are sometimes
> directly misleading.
>
> http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20040301.html

=======================================
Uwe Matzat