[Air-l] failed media

Jonathan Sterne jsterne+ at pitt.edu
Thu Mar 11 12:43:06 PST 2004

At 12:01 PM -0500 3/11/04, air-l-request at aoir.org wrote:
>Message: 5
>From: "Mattia Miani" <katanankes at yahoo.com>
>To: <air-l at aoir.org>
>Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 21:16:56 +0100
>Subject: [Air-l] Re: Air-l digest, Vol 1 #1001 - 8 msgs
>
>Hi all.
>
>Time ago, i believe, someone issued on the list a call for chapters for a
>book aimed at exploring how forms of new media have failed in the past. An
>intriguing question. Does anybody know id they came out with the book?
>
>Mattia Miani
>University of Bologna

Hi Maria,

I have no idea who posted that call.  There is a dead media database
somewhere online, and failure is an ongoing theme in the history of
communication technology.  For a good theoretical take, check out
John Durham Peters _Speaking Into the Air_ and Briankle Chang
_Deconstructing Communication_ (especially the last chapter).
Otherwise, I'd recommend any of the classic media histories available
-- most of them deal at some length with ulternatives and unrealized
plans.

Charles Acland at Concordia is editing a book called _Residual Media_
(in which I have a chapter on computer obsolescence) and I am working
on a book about abject moments in the 20th century history of
communication technology (pretty US-centric but not exclusively) --
failure, obsolescence, decline, absurdity.  There's also an upcoming
conference at a school in Florida (forget which one) on media
disasters.

Best,
--J
--
Jonathan Sterne, Assistant Professor
Department of Communication, University of Pittsburgh