[Air-l] the history of social infomatics

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 24 22:31:20 PST 2004

BIG THANKS to all who sent me info (while wondering
why I hadn't just googled the topic myself) . . . and
I still can't get over that Rob Kling is gone as I was
having drinks with him in the Milwuakee Art Museum 2
years ago and he was brilliant!

I was actually looking for a textbook that discussed
social infomatics as a possibility within a range of
fields: In other words, the history of social
infomatics discussed alongside the history of other
computing fields, such as HCI, CSCW, AI, etc.  I have
a lot of 'management information systems' textbooks
but they are quite slanted to the business application
side of things.

The textbook I do have is just a bit dated:
Maule, R. W. (1998). Information theory and research:
An introduction to the disciplines and methodologies
of information studies and organizational informatics.
San Francisco, Information Associates Press.

But thanks heaps for all the responses and I will
scout through the websites looking for textbook type
stuff. Cheers, Denise

=====
Denise N. Rall, PhD student, School of Env. Science, Southern Cross Uni,
Marker for Protected/Natural Area Management, BIO00244
Lismore, NSW, 2480 Australia Phone +61-2-6624-8627 Fax +61-2-6624-8637 Office (Thursdays) (02) 6620 3577 Mob 0438 233 344
http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/rsm/staff/pages/drall/index.html