[Air-l] the history of social infomatics

Kevin Tharp k.tharp at cqu.edu.au
Thu Mar 25 13:17:36 PST 2004

Denise:

You might also want to consider the similar area of Community
Informatics.  There is a growing body of literature in this area that
considers the use of ICT in communities.  A couple of quick references:

Gurstein, M. (2000). Community informatics: Enabling communities with
information and communications technologies. Hershey, PA: Idea Group
Pub.
Keeble, L., & Loader, B. (2002). Community informatics : shaping
computer-mediated social relations. New York: Routledge.
Marshall, S., Taylor, W., & Yu, X. H. (2004). Using community
informatics to transform regions. Hershey, PA: Idea Group Pub.

It is my understanding that Rob Kling did not see eye-to-eye with the
Community Informatics people, and that he was trying to have some of the
differences in the fields articulated by inviting Gurstein and perhaps
others to contribute journal articles.  It is unfortunate that this was
not accomplished.

Regards,
Kevin W. Tharp