[Air-l] Research on ICTs & Older People

Guillaume Latzko-Toth latzko-toth.guillaume at uqam.ca
Wed Mar 3 11:08:38 PST 2004

Here are two possible sources for you:

* As a research assistant I took part in an action research project called
Réseau d'information des aînées et aînés du Québec (RIAQ) ["Quebec Seniors'
Network"]. The new site seems to be mostly in french :
http://www.grandsparentsvirtuels.ca/site/riaq/default.ntd
but there is a section in English:
http://www.grandsparentsvirtuels.ca/site/riaq/default.ntd?sort=1.10

The scientific supervisor of the project is Pierre-Léonard HARVEY,
Université du Québec à Montréal, Département des communications,
<harvey.pierre_l at uqam.ca>, and he might certainly give the references of
publication in english derived from this research.

* I found one reference in english in my own bibliography on Internet uses,
and a little research allowed me to find these references of papers by
Deborah DUNN, Westmont College, Department of Communication Studies,
<dunn at westmont.edu>

Publications:

Cody, M. J., Dunn, D., Hoppin, S., & Wendt, P. (1999). Silver surfers:
Training and
evaluating Internet use among older adult learners. Communication
Education, 48, 269-286.

Presentations:

Dunn, D. (2000, November). "What the Silver Surfers' program suggests about
possible initiatives to close the digital divide." Paper presented at the
Annual Meeting of the National Communication Association, Seattle, Washington.

Dunn, D., & Cody, M. J. (1999, February). "Cyber Friends and Faces:
Relational Maintenance and Self Presentation Among Older Adults On-Line."
Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Western States Communication
Association in Vancouver, B.C.

Cody, M. J., Hoppin, S., & Dunn, D. (1998, November). "Silver Surfers:
Assessing the Consequences of Internet Connectivity Among Older Adults."
Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the National Communication
Association, New York, NY.

Cody, M. J., Wendt, P., Dunn, D., Pierson, J., Ott, J., & Pratt, L. (1997,
May). "Friendship Formation and Creating Communities on the Internet:
Reaching Out to the Senior Population." Paper presented at the Annual
Meeting of the International Communication Association, Montreal, Canada.

In the hope it can help,
Guillaume

Groupe de recherche sur les usages et cultures médiatiques (GRM)
Université du Québec à Montréal, Département des communications
C.P. 8888, Succ. C-V, Canada H3C 3P8 -Tél.: +1 514 987-3000, 3211#
Courriel: grm at uqam.ca  - Site WWW: http://grm.uqam.ca/