[Air-l] ethics of recording publicly observed interactions

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Tue May 11 08:29:36 PDT 2004

A few cents on ethics from me --

1. As Charles Ess has indicated, the AoIR guidelines are not meant to
be RULES but a means of helping researchers and review boards think
through ethical issues in order to make their own wise decisions.
This was a point which was written into that group's charge.

2. Not all online interaction, even within one mode (e.g. newsgroups)
is the same. Making ethical decisions requires sensitivity to the
context created BY the interaction as well as the technological
features that enable the interaction. Despite the technological
similarities, the ethics of quoting a newsgroup of people who are
talking about their favorite soap operas are different from the
ethics of quoting a newsgroup of people trying to sort through their
recent rape because the consequences of discovering that one has been
a research subject are very different for the two sets of people.
Where the former may be mildly miffed (though my subjects were
generally delighted to be studied as it lent some legitimacy to what
they viewed as a guilty pleasure), the latter may well feel violated
all over again.

3. I am very uncomfortable with the idea that ALL research studying
online interaction requires consent of those studied. As I've said
before on this list, for me, this becomes most troubling in cases
where people are studying hate groups. Personally, I have no ethical
qualms about covert infiltration of hate groups or covert
observational research on them because I believe they are evil, and I
hope that researchers will be able to raise awareness of their
activities and help those who would fight against hate do so
effectively. Most practitioners and advocates of hate are not eager
to help those who would fight against them gain access to their inner
workings. If researchers can only study people and phenomena that
consent to the researcher's gaze, we may as well give up on
understanding most of the ugliest of humam behavior.

4. I have long maintained that scholars should spend more efforts
helping people understand the public nature of their online
interactions (though I'm not sure how to do that). I believe we must
take into account peoples' perceptions about the privacy of their
interactions (even if others don't) as we calculate the ethics of our
specific research projects, but I also think we have a duty to help
them understand that their interactions are not, in fact, private if
they can be revealed with a quick google search. Though I think it's
good in general to seek consent, I worry about well-intentioned
researchers nurturing the delusion that people who contribute
discourse to publically available sites can continue to control the
use of their words after they have been sent.

Finally, journalists keep coming up as those with lower standards,
but the people who concern me the most are not the journalists, but
people like pharmaceutical sales representatives who might search
health support groups to compile lists of potential consumers,
potential bosses who might do searches to see if potential or current
employees might be discussing health conditions that might make them
more expensive to insure (or to assess their religion, politics,
etc), and so on.

Nancy

--
Nancy Baym 	http://www.ku.edu/home/nbaym
Communication Studies, University of Kansas