[Air-l] BMJ Article on health related virtual communities / cmc-focus issue

Carol Perryman cp1757 at hotmail.com
Thu May 13 23:51:03 PDT 2004

I wonder if you have taken a look at the new BMJ, which has a theme of cmc
in healthcare.

and particularly, the following:

Health related virtual communities and electronic support groups: systematic
review of the effects of online peer to peer interactions. Gunther
Eysenbach, John Powell, Marina Englesakis, Carlos Rizo, and Anita Stern.
BMJ 2004 328: 1166-0.

I don't know if any members of this list are working in the area of
healthcare-related cmc, particularly peer-to-peer, but I'd certainly be
interested in knowing if that's the case.  My work to date has been with a
large forum (200,000 members) whose intent is smoking cessation.  I'd be
very interested to see reactions to this article, which is available
full-text through the BMJ website.

Carol Perryman
Graduate School of Library & Information Science