[Air-l] Data

Ulla Bunz bunz at scils.rutgers.edu
Thu May 20 06:45:56 PDT 2004

Justin,
Irene mentioned cybergeography, and I think this would be your safest bet. I suggest to
a) track down Martin Dodge, easily done by searching online as he, for example,
hosts the cybergeography listserve and has also published on this topic, i.e., the
cybergeography atlas, and "mapping cyberspace." He may be able to give you some
hints. I suspect your answer lies with GIS (geographic information systems), which
is sort of like social network analysis but for spatial data. Martin may be able to
tell you where to look for the data that you want.

b) Contact the person who teaches GIS in the geography department at your
university. Ask him/her about the methodological approach to your question. GIS as a
software is not that easy to figure out, but if this is for the dissertation it
might be worth sitting in on a few class sessions.

c) Also check out http://www.csiss.org/ for research and teaching workshops in this
area. They try especially hard to bring GIS to the social sciences. Probably too
late to get into a summer workshop, but nonetheless it might be worth checking out
the website and contacting a few people.

Best of luck,
Ulla

--
Ulla Bunz