[Air-l] Google is watching ! - a few replies

ET et at tarik.com.au
Sat May 22 21:22:12 PDT 2004

just a couple of replies to some of the posts...

Hamish - you wrote..."perhaps we should remember where this discussion
started - someone advocating
complete irresponsibility in social research, then squirming around
trying to avoid admitting that any of
his (weak and inconsistent) arguments were in any way flawed,
even given some very weighty counter arguments."

1. All I have advocated is operating within the law, yet  you see this
as advocating irresponsibility.. how odd.
2. Perhaps my arguments are weak and inconsistent, but I have seen no
example in any of the posts of a list member declaring
that they have been so impressed by the strength of argument put forward
by X that they have changed their own mind on this subject !
3. I note that your first entry, Dr Cunningham, into this discussion has
been to criticise me for having a weak argument.
Yet you, the highly credentialled academic and Senior Research
Scientist, actually offer no argument yourself?
Is that ethical?

4. You say that my arguments are weak - perhaps this is true.
But let us just reflect for a moment on my posting history in here...
My first post was in February. The number of posts in the thread(s) that
developed was 100, by far the largest thread in the past 12 months
in this forum. This wasnt 100 posts saying I was an idiot, although some
appeared to take that viewpoint. This was 100 posts
made by list members who felt passionate about the subject matter being
discussed, a discussion I started.
Some members wrote to me pointing out that it was the longest and most
interesting thread in here for a long time.
This Ethics thread, that I started with my weak arguments is now approx
85 posts long.
This is the second longest thread in the past year in this forum.

Since my first post, I have been the most prolific poster in this forum,
a statistic that I did not aim to achieve, but at least I am having a go !

So it may be true that I put forward weak arguments - but it is also
true that this feeble student is exceptionally successful at getting a
group of
high achieving academics to  get down and get dirty in the AoIR
discussion list. It appears I know how to start a good conversation, and
having everyone talking and thinking is sure as hell better than having
everyone sitting around not getting involved.
It appears we disagree :-)
Charles...

you are (20 May) arguing that we should consider the expectations of the
person/s being researched, and that we should respect their
expectations of privacy regardless of how unjustified that expectation
may be.
you wrote...
"In my mind, this requires us to go back to the expectations of the persons
we're dealing with as a starting point for developing our sense of
ethical obligation."

This is what I am trying to deal with.
If, as I stated, I take a look at this argument from a human rights
perspective then the solutions are simple.
I respect the privacy and rights of others as per the ICOCPR and the
laws of the country I am living in.
There are no ifs and buts in that equation. Its as clear cut as anything
in life can be.
I am free to research within those above constraints.
And I am free of other individuals or groups trying to load higher
burdens upon me as it is an infringement of
my human rights to do so.
Simple, clear.

Others in here have arrived at a similar position to mine from tottally
different angles and others disagree.

You, for example, see the world differently and wish to apply a higher
standard.
I respect completely your right to impose a higher standard - upon yourself.

I am happy to accept your view of the world for yourself.
All I ask is that others accept my right to act lawfully, humanely, and
according to my own set of moral values, which
may, or may not, be higher than your own standards.
Am I asking too much?

regards,

Eero Tarik
Adelaide