[Air-l] Data

Ren Reynolds ren at aldermangroup.com
Wed May 19 14:20:46 PDT 2004

I'm not sure what you tying to capture here.

When you say you have data that shows gross traffic - but I wonder what
that traffic is. A few thoughts on this (dredging my old ISP days):

Data on the internet flows either within networks (Autonomous Systems -
generally switched flow) or between networks (where routing comes into
play at peering points (either public or private) / NAPs (Network Access
Point) see BGP generally).

But if we look at flow between say London and Paris one could try to
estimate data going into LINX (the main London NAP) and out of SFINX
(the Paris one).

But in Europe there are lots of international / pan European single AS
networks, so this traffic will not show up on in some analysis unless it
has to ingress or exit from / to a peer.

Then there is the fact that traffic that does exit at say LINX may in
fact just be hoping transatlantic.

And lastly there are many more peering points just in the two cities I
have mentioned.

Unless things have moved on since I looked at this stuff, you can't
geographically source IP packets across networks (if you have your own
network sure you can do that).

I'm sure you can get data that basically shows very gross traffic in and
out of the major 'nodes' around the world so you could work out relative
traffic levels, but an actual city to city matrix flow - I'd love to see
that, in fact I'd possibly pay good money to see that.

Sorry if this misses the point and /or I'm a few years behind in the
tech.

Ren
www.renreynolds.com