[Air-l] Google is watching !

Rod Carveth rodcarveth at hotmail.com
Fri May 21 18:21:24 PDT 2004

Jenny,

To answer the point -- "upon what basis can a researcher declare that
Americans who use the Internet give up their right to say no to being
researched?" -- no offense, but how about common sense?  We're not in the
early adopter phase of the Internet in our country.  Neilsen NetRatings for
March 2004 indicated that 144,403,184 people were active users.  That's half
our population, and it grew by 3 million from February to March alone.  Of
those, 12 million were between the ages of 2-11.  If you talk to children
who use the Internet, even they know that what they post can be seen by
others.  And, if I as a citizen put my communication in a form that others
can access, then I am giving up my right to say no to being researched.  If
I don't want to be subject to research, then I don't participate in
communication activities where my interactions can be accessed by the
public.  It's the same as if I talk too loud about a sensitive topic.  The
moment my voice becomes a "public voice" in terms of volume, I have given up
all rights to the communication being private.

Thus, my point is that as researchers we don't have to carte blanche declare
whatever we see online as "public" and therefore researchable.   It is
already public, and therefore researchable.  Individual researchers can draw
lines more narrowly if they want, but, for the community of scholars, as
long as anonymity can be insured, people's public postings are fair game for
research.

Rod

Rod Carveth, Associate Professor
Department of Communication