[Air-l] Google is watching !

Dan L Burk burkx006 at umn.edu
Sat May 22 20:27:17 PDT 2004

In answer to Rowin's question:

Copying the original expression in a website, email, blog, or whatever, is
a prima facie act of infringement in most countries, certainly in any
countries that are signatories to the Berne Convention and/or members of
the WTO.

However, in the United States, use of some portions of the expression for
purposes of scholarship would likely constitute fair use.  In countries
such as the UK or Canada, it may constitute fair dealing if it falls within
one of the specific educational or research exceptions, which will be
highly fact dependent.  Other countries will have their own user priveleges
and exemptions.

(There is decidedly NOT, BTW, a fair use exception in UK copyright law. You
are probably thinking of fair dealing, which is something entirely
different.)

U.S. courts have generally rejected the idea that hypertext linking
constitutes copyright infringement.  A number of European courts have held
to the contrary, as has at least one Korean court decision that I am aware
of.  Alternatively, in some cases, courts in EU member states have held
that linking constitutes a violation of some other proprietary right, such
as national database legislation.

A number of recent U.S. decisions have held or assumed that public posting
of material on the Internet confers an implied privelege for others to copy
or link, unless that privelege is explicitly revoked.  This is pretty much
a foregone conclusion, given that you cannot view or read a web page,
email, etc. without making at least RAM copies.

I don't think this says much regarding the ethical question, however.  Even
if legally permissible, reproduction or linking may still be unethical.
Contrariwise, I tend to think that legally impermissible reproduction or
legal can sometimes be ethical, although that may be open to debate.

As long as I am de-lurking, but without turning this into a treatise on
international law, I will just mention that Eero's post regarding the
Convention on Civil and Political Rights was, shall we say, maybe not the
best guide to the meaning of the passages cited, their status in
international law, and most especially their status under any given state's
domestic law.

Typically, the best advice regarding international law is the old
television variety show warning, "Don't try this at home, kids!"

***************************************
Dan L. Burk
Oppenheimer, Wolff & Donnelly Professor
University of Minnesota Law School
229 19th Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55455 USA
***************************************

=
> If
> I don't want to be subject to research, then I don't participate in
> communication activities where my interactions can be accessed by the
> public. =20
>
> But I don't necessarily agree that my act of posting gives other people =
> the right to reproduce what I post, only to refer to it and link to it =
> (outside a context that is clearly a research context).  I'm not trying =
> to have a go at Derek, or anyone, I was just curious about what people =
> thought.
> =20
> Hope you all have a lovely weekend, and that your weather's as wonderful
=
> as it is here in Glasgow!
> =20
> rowin