[Air-l] ethnography and ethics

Mark D. Johns johnsmar at luther.edu
Wed May 5 06:04:09 PDT 2004

At 06:53 PM 5/5/2004 +0930, you wrote:
>I am trying to get my head around the issue of ethnography and ethics.

There are situations in which covert research is justified, but many other
situations -- particularly online -- in which the overt presence of a
researcher his little, if any, impact on the behaviors of the subjects and
therefore on the quality of the research.

Allow me to make (yet another) shameless plug for the new book, Online
Social Research: Methods, Issues, and Ethics, (Digital Formations Series,
Vol. 7 - Steve Jones, Series Editor), Edited by Mark D. Johns, Shing-Ling
Sarina Chen, and G. Jon Hall
Peter Lang Publishers, New York  c 2004      ISBN 0-8204-6101-6

-----
Mark D. Johns, Ph.D.
Asst. Prof. of Communication/Linguistics
Luther College, Decorah, Iowa USA
http://faculty.luther.edu/~johnsmar/