[Air-l] online bibliography application to share scientific literature and citations thru web browser?

Charles Hendricksen veritas at u.washington.edu
Fri May 14 10:48:27 PDT 2004

Sr. Naranjo,

     I have a set of programs (the Annotated HyperBibliography [AHB])
that may solve your problem.  They run on UNIX (and probably LINUX)
servers and are well established, five or six years of running in two
installations.  The output is in HTML and takes three forms, an
Alphabetic Index, a Title Index, and "catalog cards" for each of the
references.  The "catalog cards" can be references from any WWW page, so
you can hyperlink to your bibliographic references from your citations
in the text of web pages.  The catalog cards can be annotated by your
users, and the annotations appear in the catalog card.

     I use a Personal Bibliographic Manager [PBM] for a front end.  Both
ProCite and EndNotes have been used.  Here is how it works:

1. Create your references in your PBM. All editing and entry takes place
in the PBM, a program designed for that purpose.
2. Output your bibliography through a style file of the PBM.  The Style
file is designed to produce a text file that is the interface between
the PBM and AHB.
3. Upload the interface file using a web form.

That is all you need to do. Each time you revise the bibliography in the
PBM you can produce a new interface file and upload it.

You would have very little problem customizing the pages to use Catalan
or Spanish.  The programs are written in perl.  There is no database
necessary, as the programming emulates a database using the UNIX file
structure.