[Air-l] conference request

Mark Warschauer markw at uci.edu
Tue May 4 10:04:21 PDT 2004

It seems to me that there are three distinct types of situations:

(1) Mass unsolicited emails for "legitimate" conferences (i.e.,
scholarly conferences associated with established professional
associations)

(2) Mass unsolicited emails for fly-by-night for-profit conferences
(i.e., the conferences themselves occur, but they are evidently run
for commercial rather than scholarly purposes, often by mysterious
groups with no apparent connection to established academic
organizations)

(3) Mass unsolicited emails for non-existent conferences (i.e., pure
scams in which the supposed conference does not even take place).

There's obviously a lot of grey area between the first and second
categories.  And, as much as we might find objectionable about the
second category, it's obviously very distinct from the third category.
Mark
--
Mark Warschauer
Associate Professor, Dept. of Education and Dept. of Informatics