[Air-l] Google is watching !

Jennifer Stromer-Galley jstromer at albany.edu
Fri May 21 17:47:16 PDT 2004

Two thoughts to Rod's post.

First, upon what basis can a researcher declare that Americans who use
the Internet give up their right to say no to being researched? Just
because Americans are early adopters does not mean that they experience
all of their interactions online as public. The premise that users of
the Internet implicitly consent to be researched is unfounded. Not all
Americans are savvy Internet users who understand how the Internet
actually works. Even if they did, that does not entail that they have
consented to be researched.

Second, it's not that "I" feel uncomfortable recording conversations.
That's not my point. This conversation is about social ontology and
ethics and not my personal psychology.

My point is that as researchers we cannot carte blanche declare whatever
we see online as "public" and therefore researchable.

Sincerely,
~Jenny Stromer-Galley