[Air-l] ethics of recording publicly observed interactions

Gina Neff ginasue at panix.com
Tue May 11 14:34:16 PDT 2004

A quick side note on Nancy's very thoughtful post:

"3. I am very uncomfortable with the idea that ALL research studying
online interaction requires consent of those studied. As I've said
before on this list, for me, this becomes most troubling in cases
where people are studying hate groups."

Agreed. But even within hate groups, sociologists have effectively
conducted *overt* research. As Kathleen Blee's excellent "Inside
Organized Racism: Women in the Hate Movement" shows, even in *offline*
interactions, researchers can still neogiate research access to people
with pretty horrendous politics. Too often we as ethnographers are too
quick to dismiss the possiblitity of access to social worlds radically
different than our own. It may be ethical to conduct covert research on
these groups, but as Blee shows, one can often get much better and much
more politically useful information if the research is done openly.

Gina

Gina Neff
Postdoctoral Fellow
Institute for Labor and Employment