[Air-l] Data

Justin Rosenthal jrr at uchicago.edu
Wed May 19 13:28:11 PDT 2004

Hello all,

I am interested in hearing any thoughts you have on a data problem that I
have, that I am sure many of you have approached, and which is, of course, a
result of the structure of the Internet itself.  In my ideal world, I would be
able to build a relational database of data traffic between the largest cities
worldwide.  The data I have found shows gross data traffic between nodes,
which includes traffic originated in third-party cities and destined for
fourth-party cities, for example, and which does not provide an estimate of
the traffic originated in 3 and destined for 4.  This means that the data
doesn't relate every node in the city system to every other in terms of
network traffic inbound and outbound.  Have you approached this problem?  Do
you have any thoughts on how currently available data can be patched for
network analysis, or how such a relational database could be built in the
future?

Many thanks,

Justin

Justin Rosenthal