[Air-l] NSF, Science Communication, and Google

Andrew Russell arussell at jhu.edu
Sat May 22 09:24:10 PDT 2004

Art - I have three thoughts (one historical, two dealing with power and
politics) on your question; it's a fascinating question and I agree it
should be asked more often. (I should note that I haven't bought
Newman's book or read his diss., and can't comment on the substance of
what he says.)

1> I think the short (historical) answer to your question is that many
of the folks who created the Internet wanted it to be open to everyone,
including commercial interests, and the most efficient way to
accomplish that goal was to get private corporations involved in
running the Internet (let's not forget that without corporations like
Honeywell, DEC, IBM, etc, there would have been no computers to
network).  They didn't see privatization as a bad thing; just the
opposite.  For example, in the early 80s, Vint Cerf left ARPA to join
MCI and make some money for himself (in interviews he talks about
realizing how he didn't think a government salary would put his
daughters through college).  In my opinion, working for a private firm
and making money off his work doesn't make Vint a bad guy; in fact his
humanitarian record is outstanding (visible, for example, in his
activities with the Internet Society).  For the most part, the Arpanet
folks wanted to concentrate on their own research, and weren't at all
interested in manufacturing thousands of routers, etc.  You may be
familiar with the volumes edited by Brian Kahin and Jim Keller,
"Coordinating the Internet" (1997) and "Public Access to the Internet"
(1995) that addressed these "transition to public use" issues.

2> Your question - "if the taxpayers paid for it, why do we allow
corporations and private individuals to get rich off of it?" - forces
us to confront two fundamental political questions: Who is the "we"?
And in what ways do we "allow"? Speaking for myself, I pay a
corporation, Verizon, 50 bucks a month so I can get fast, stable access
to the Internet. I don't know if they're getting rich off that or not,
but I do it because they have the equipment and expertise to keep me
connected. I assume other Verizon customers feel the same way. But this
is a market-based conception of how we exercise power, probably not
exactly what you had in mind, but I'm not sure.

3> Finally, "we" - many members of this list, including you and me -
are making money off the Internet to the extent that we draw stipends,
salaries, consulting fees, etc. by doing Internet research.  (btw for
your sake I hope a "Principal Consultant" makes more money than a grad
student LOL).  And of course Nathan Newman is a private individual
making money by writing columns and selling his book about the Internet
- 75 bucks for a hardcover copy!!  So do the "private individuals" in
your question include Newman, you, me, and our colleagues on this list?

Andy