[Air-l] ethnography and ethics

ET et at tarik.com.au
Sun May 9 15:48:45 PDT 2004

Hi Gloria,
you wrote....

"This is of course a postmodern, feminist, qualitative approach to
research that someone with a different ontological and epistemological
outlook would reject, but that is an old and fruitless argument."

I'm not sure its a matter of rejecting other philosophical viewpoints.

We are all different, all with different viewpoints, different experiences.
This is one of the reasons why I am not happy with "universal" ethical guidelines.

An individual can only see the world through the eyes they have, no one can borrow my eyes, or yours to view the world.

If having a "postmodern, feminist, qualitative approach to research" satisfies you then this is good.
If, however, it doesnt satisfy someone else, that other person should be free to explore their own boundaries ( within the constraints of law and human rights) and arrive at an approach to research that satisfies them.
Then we should all be happy, shouldnt we?

regards,

Eero Tarik
Adelaide