[Air-l] Science communication and the development of the Internet

Andrew Russell arussell at jhu.edu
Wed May 19 05:01:38 PDT 2004

Franz -

Four thoughts jump to mind:

1. Although he's not European, JCR Licklider seems like a main guy you
would want to talk about - he was an MIT psychologist who co-wrote a
1968 paper, "The Computer as a Communication Device."  M. Mitchell
Waldrop's book "The Dream Machine" (especially Chapter 5) has a good
discussion of these issues, as does Howard Rheingold's "Tools for
Thought."  A short bio of Licklider (with a link to that paper) is at
http://memex.org/licklider.html.

2. Tim Berners-Lee created the Web at CERN in order to provide a better
system for communication and documentation of scientific ideas among
physicists.  His book "Weaving the Web" has a good description of this,
as does the Gillies and Cailliau book, "How the Web Was Born." For a
paper on European science I think this would be most helpful. See also
http://www.w3.org/History/1989/proposal.html.

3. It's worth thinking about Doug Engelbart's work in this context, as
well.  Thierry Bardini wrote a wonderful book called "Bootstrapping"
(Stanford Press, 2000) that is a sustained analysis of Engelbart, his
lab, and his scientific and technical ideas.

4. Janet Abbate's discussion of CSNET and NSFNET in the United States
is right on point as well, of course her book is "Inventing the
Internet."  I don't know if a similar historical treatment of European
internetworking exists, say for example in the development of the ISO
reference model or national networks in Europe (I'd love to hear from
others about this).

Sounds like an interesting paper, I hope this helps. Good luck!

Andy

Andrew Russell
Department of the History of Science and Technology
The Johns Hopkins University
http://www.jhu.edu/host/