[Air-l] Google is watching ! - a few replies

Ulf-Dietrich Reips ureips at genpsy.unizh.ch
Mon May 24 08:47:20 PDT 2004

At 3:02 Uhr +0100 24.5.2004, Thomas Koenig wrote:

>Some quotes from that document:
>
>"Observation in public spaces, in streets and squares, can normally
>be carried out without informing those concerned. However, the
>registration of behaviour using technical aids (camera, video, tape
>recorders etc.) implies that the observed material can be stored,
>and thus possibly form the basis of a personal register."
>(http://www.etikkom.no/Etikkom/Etikkom/Engelsk/Publications/NESHguide#9)

Interesting... wouldn't you consider glasses or contact lenses
technical aids? I believe the point shouldn't be the use of technical
aids, but the increased ease with which collected information can be
shown to others who were not at the place and in the time the
observed events took place. The storage function alone wouldn't be
sufficient also, because the human memory is a (sometimes terribly
fallible) storage device.

Just a thought, --u