[Air-l] crisis in the Ukraine

J. J. japeks at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 24 17:01:50 PST 2004

>I'm forwarding the below which was posted to Crtnet (the Listserve of the
>National >Communication Association). I'm forwarding it a) to raise
>awareness of the issue, and b) >as an example of how email can be a tool
>for social change, activism and digital >empowerment.

I am reading a fascinating book edited by Andrew Feenberg and Darin Barney:
Community in the Digital Age: Philosophy and Practice (Rowman & Littlefield
Publishers; August 15, 2004) and it seems to me that I do agree with the
book’s premise that technology itself actually has very little to do with
social change. “The issue here is not merely how the technology is used but
what it becomes as a result of the different possible uses that are imagined
for it” (p. 14).

Here’s what has been reported on CNN’s web site about the crisis in Ukraine:

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell on Wednesday said
the United States does not accept the results of Ukraine's presidential
elections as legitimate, citing "credible reports of fraud and abuse."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/11/24/powell.ukraine/index.html

Therefore, two questions:
How can our online organization’s awareness be raised in light of such
polarized view?
How can email be a tool for social change then?

Jarek Janio
Santiago Canyon College
Orange, California