[Air-l] cmc readings

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 18:50:16 PST 2004

Dear AIr'ers -

Well - I'm not a communications scholar. So I had a
difficult time understanding communication generally.
This textbook helped me a great deal:

Burgoon, J. K., D. B. Buller, et al. (1996/1989)
Nonverbal communication: The unspoken dialogue. (New
York: McGraw-Hill).

Nonverbal sounds like a strange option until one
realizes that most of what happens on a computer
screen is non-spoken.

Regarding CMC, Lucy Suchman's book is THE place to
start (IMHO).

Suchman, L. (1987) Plans and situated actions: The
problem of human-machine communication. (Cambridge:
Cambridge University Press).

I have also found that much of the CMC material
doesn't do justice to HIP - Human Information
Processing. While that's a difficult subject, here's
my favorite textbook on that:

Proctor, R. W. and T. Van Zandt (1994) Human factors
in simple and complex systems. (Boston: Allyn and
Bacon).

Another textbook that I refer to, time and again:
Fiske, S. T. and S. E. Taylor (1991) Social Cognition,
2nd Ed. (New York: McGraw-Hill).

I know there is an updated edition of the Fiske &
Taylor. It was very very helpful on human cognition
and covered a lot of ground that I found helpful when
looking at CMC later on.

This came from our list a while ago, I haven't read
it:

Wood, A, & Smith, M. (2004, in press). Online
Communication: Linking Technology, Identity, and
Culture - Second Edition. Mahwah, New Jersey: Lawrence
Erlbaum & Associates.

Cheers, Denise

=====
Denise N. Rall, PhD candidate, School of Environ. Science,
Southern Cross University, Lismore NSW 2480 - Mobile 0438 233 344
Sustainable Forestry Mentoring Coordinator & Internet Researcher
http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/rsm/staff/pages/drall/index.html