[Air-l] Virtual Ethnicities/Online Hate Speech

Charles Ess ess at uni-trier.de
Fri Nov 19 00:52:30 PST 2004

> I'm working with a Professor in the Communications, Culture and Technology
> program at Georgetown University in Washington, DC to create a syllabus for
> a Master's level class on Virtual Ethnicities. We're looking for potential
> readings, including materials that approach definitions of race and
> ethnicity online, the creation of online communities around shared
> definitions and communities that form in opposition to other groups (online
> hate groups). I've been looking through the AoIR-L archives, but I wondered
> if anyone had suggestions, particularly for newer articles/books.
>
> Best,
>
> Amanda Lenhart
> alenhart at pewinternet.org

Hi Amanda,

If you and your professor are not already aware of it, I'd recommend a
careful tour through

Macfadyen, L. P., Roche, J., and Doff, S. (2004). Communicating across
Cultures in Cyberspace: A Bibliographical Review of Online Intercultural
Communication. Hamburg: Lit-Verlag.

It's certainly the most extensive bibliography on these intersections I know
of - I can't recommend it highly enough.

Good luck! And cheers,

Charles Ess
Fall '04: Fulbright Senior Scholar
Universität Trier
Fachbereich II
Fakultäten der Medienwissenschaft, Sinologie
Universitätsring 15
54296 Trier (Germany)
Office phone: (49) (0)651-201-3744
 Sekretariat: (49) (0)651-201-3203
         Fax: (49) (0)651-201-3741

Distinguished Research Professor, Interdisciplinary Studies
Drury University
900 N. Benton Ave.              Voice: 417-873-7230
Springfield, MO  65802  USA       FAX: 417-873-7435

Home page:  http://www.drury.edu/ess/ess.html
Co-chair, CATaC: http://www.it.murdoch.edu.au/catac/

Exemplary persons seek harmony, not sameness. -- Analects 13.23